Chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and representing New Mexico’s 3rd District in the House of Representatives since 2009, Ben Ray Lujan is a proven progressive leader.
- Supported student loan reform, which will increase Pell Grants and make it easier for college students to pay back their loans
- Cosponsored the Credit Card Holder’s Bill of Rights
- Supported Wall Street reform and included an amendment to end too big to fail
- Fought to expand health care to those with mental illness and substance abuse issues
- Demanded a public option in health care reform
- Investigated the health insurance industry’s denial practices and spearheaded legislation to expand access to insurance and close loopholes
Why we like him:
A leading voice in the House in the fight against climate change, Lujan champions environmental causes and alternative energy. He authored the Community College Energy Training Act to support the training of students to work in clean energy and advocated requiring that 20 percent of power produced by New Mexico’s utilities originate from renewable energy.
“The New Mexico I see in the future is a cleaner, healthier place, with water running through our acequias, our precious natural resources intact, and resources, health care, jobs and infrastructure more readily available to our least-served residents. The America I see does not rely on foreign energy to run our cars and our lives or start our wars.”
To learn more about Ben Ray Lujan, visit his website.